Saturday, January 12, 2013

Dad wisdom #1

Unfortunately I don't have anything new to report today, but I'd like to share with you something that my dad told me once. I'll probably end up posting a lot of things my dad shares with me. My dad is my numero uno rock and he almost can always pull me out of whatever rut I'm in. I'll post up whatever wisdom he gives me in the hope that it may be of some help to others too.

It has taken me 5 years to finally get into medicine. Those 5 years have consisted of a lot of hard work and persistence and my dad has always been my one-man cheer squad. He believed in me when pretty much no one else did, and on the days when I didn't think I could make the cut, he was always there to tell me otherwise. 

I remember talking to be dad in the car a few years back when he was driving me to uni. I can't remember exactly what I was upset about, but I remember that it had something to do with medicine and how horrible it felt having failed to get in so many times. My dad then told me this story:

A daughter is telling her mother how everything is going wrong; she's failing algebra, her boyfriend broke up with her and her best friend is moving away. Meanwhile, her mother is baking a cake and asks her daughter if she would like a snack, and the daughter says, "Absolutely Mom, I love your cake." 

"Here, have some cooking oil," her mother offers. "Yuck," says her daughter. "How about a couple raw eggs?" "Gross, Mom!" "Would you like some flour then? Or maybe baking soda?" "Mom, those are all yucky!"

 To which the mother replies: "Yes, all those things seem bad all by themselves. But when they are put together in the right way, they make a wonderfully delicious cake! God works the same way. Many times we wonder why He would let us go through such bad and difficult times. But God knows that when He puts these things all in His order, they always work for good! We just have to trust Him and, eventually, they will all make something wonderful!"

I remember the moment so well. We had just turned onto Riverside drive heading towards uni. I'm so glad my dad was there to tell me that story. It's been in my mind for the past 3 or something years now and it's been one of the many things that keep me standing strong despite whatever challenging things I perceive to be coming at me head on. 

Hearing the story really helped me  to accept the fact that sometimes things get/are bad before they get good. It may not help everyone as much as it did me, but remember the story anyways just in case someone you know needs to hear it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment