Thursday, January 10, 2013

Gen Z

I like when the things that you didn't plan on happening turn out so good that you're glad you didn't get the chance to see 'what if' if it did. Some miscommunication led to me having a quite night in with the relatives. When I first met my young 11 year old cousin a week ago in Chicago, she was very quiet and despite attempts to talk to her, conversation didn't last long between us. I had given up hope that she'd come to open up to me. As I've been spending so much time with my other cousin, I haven't had that much of a chance to try and reconnect, but today since I was at home, I told her that I've missed her over the past couple of days and I gave her a hug. That was the turning point. For the rest of the night we chatted in her room about all the things you talk to 11 year old girls about. We bonded over our mutual love of reading and she told me about her ambitions for the future. It's conversations like this that make me love spending time with kids. If you've ever been in the same situation, maybe you've seen just how much of an influence we have on them and how much they feed off of our encouragement. 

This blog definitely isn't one that will dictate how people should live, and every relationship is different, but kids shouldn't be ignored. I know there are some kids out there who'd like to be left alone, but for all those who just want an ear to listen, we should offer both of ours.

A conversation with an 11 year old totally made my day, and who knows, maybe I made hers too. 
 
Today made me think of the movie School of Rock and how great it can be when you take the time to bond with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment