Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Another road trip

The original plan was to write up a post everyday but I'm a day behind because my relatives and I were on the road all day long and I didn't have Internet access. There wasn't really a chance to make the most of the day but I did get a chance to go into Fort Sam in the city of San Antonio which is something I'll probably never do again in my life. It was very eye opening to see soldiers in real life in their army uniforms and I've grown a feeling of deep respect for them. My cousin who's in the navy was telling me about her daily routine and it's crazy how intense their training is. We saw a whole group of them with their giant knapsacks that they use to carry what seemed to be like practically everything they owned. So that was something new that I did the other day.

Something that I wanted to touch on though, was dad and daughter relationships. My relatives and I had to drive about 3 hours from Houston to San Antonio. The purpose of the trip was to deliver some goods to my cousin. My mum's uncle (i.e. my cousin's dad) had already done that insanely long 18 hour drive the day before and now he was back behind the wheel determined to get to Fort Sam in time before my cousin had to report back to base. We were cutting it so close but he drove the 3 hours straight. Now, we had breakfast that day, but then from 12 noon until 6.30pm he drove us around Houston and then to Fort Sam. He didn't stop to eat. He just kept driving. Even from the back seat I could see his determination to get to his daughter in time. This just made me think of dad and daughter relationships. I've really grown to love the relationship that I have with my dad, and he's the type to drive all night just to deliver me some of my belongings from home. My dad does a lot for me and as normal as that seems to me, I've come to realise that not everyone is as lucky as I am. Anyways, all this reflecting got me thinking about all the movies where there are great dad and daughter relationships. Here's a list of a few of my favourites:

To Kill a Mockingbird - The relationship is there throughout the whole movie.
Sixteen Candles - The scene when they're on the couch.
Mulan -The blossom speech & at the end when Mulan comes home.



1 comment:

  1. I understand exactly what your saying Theresa!! I have a special relationship with not only with my dad but also with my mum and siblings and I sometimes take it for granted until I see or hear the interactions of other people with their family or others comment on my interaction with mine. You're super lucky to be part of such a loving family :D
    Maddy B

    ReplyDelete