Friday, February 15, 2013

Zucchini fritters and hummus

Ok, so here's a mission for you if you choose to accept: find me one vegan who does not like hummus. Go. Try it. I bet you won't find a single one. 

I love hummus like you would not believe. There are so many different variations - garlic, sweet potato, white bean...and the list goes on and on and I never want that list to end because I'm crazy about the stuff. For all of those who don't know what hummus is, it's a Middle Eastern dip/spread made with chickpeas, tahini (sesame paste), olive oil and lemon in its most simplest form (more info here).

Today I was rushed for time to make some dinner for myself so I decided to pull out my Veganomicon cook book and whip up something from there. I found a recipe for zucchini fritters, and seeing as I have never made these before I made this my 'something new' for the day. I'm a bit of a fry-o-phobe, but because I was short on time, I cooked these in oil in a shallow pan. They were yummy and crispy and best of all, they tasted even more delicious topped with my homemade hummus. I used the hummus recipe from the Veganomicon book too. 

Yes, yes, the food was great, but what made my meal even better was that my brother loved them too! My brother is 10 years younger than me and his taste is that of any 11 year old. He likes junk food. The fattier, saltier and sweeter it is the better. It surprises me every time he actually likes any of my vegan food, and today was no different. I've got him hooked onto hummus now too. Even though my jar of hummus will run out quicker, I don't really mind because I just love the fact that my brother is trying new things too...and liking it :)

P.s. I don't post up the recipes from the book because I don't want to get done in for copyright issues, but if anyone would like to try one of the recipes seen on my blog, don't hesitate to leave a comment and I will get back to you :)


My jar of hummus. It will be gone by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment