Thursday, May 9, 2013

Decaffeinated pumpkin spice latte

I had some coconut whipped cream left over from yesterday and so I decided to make another great vegan hot drink which I have never tried before. 

There is a great recipe for pumpkin spice latte from the website Averie Cooks. I liked this recipe because it calls for pureed pumpkin to be used in the recipe, and I had pumpkin in my fridge that I wanted to use up (there's still a bit more left so I'll probably make another pumpkin dish later). Some recipes just use pumpkin spice, but I this one is the real deal. 

I'm not a coffee person, so I made a decaffeinated version of the original recipe.

In my mind, this is such an American drink, much like egg nog. Not many people here in Perth drink it, but it's popular in the States. 

This recipe was great. It was rich and creamy and warmed me right up. 



Decaffeinated Pumpkin Spice Latte

Serves 1

Ingredients

1 cup soy milk (I used 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk and 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk)
1/4 heaping cup pumpkin puree (more if you really love pumpkin)
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend, or to taste (I used 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp mixed spice or all spice, 1/4 tsp cloves and 1/8 tsp nutmeg)
sweetener of choice, to taste (I suggest 2 tbsp agave or 2 tbsp brown sugar or a pinch of stevia to taste; or try honey, maple syrup, etc. to taste) - I didn't add any extra sweetener because the vanilla soy milk and whipped cream was sweet enough.

Directions

Combine and blend all ingredients in a food processor or blend all ingredients using a hand mixer or blender
Optional: Warm the finished pumpkin milk mixture in the microwave or on the stove top (I do a quick nuke of about 1 minute)


No comments:

Post a Comment