Monday, June 10, 2013

Gladys Newton School

Today I did some volunteering at Gladys Newton School, an education support school for children with disabilities. I didn't even know the school existed until just a couple of days ago when I called up to request a day to volunteer. I have only ever had experience working with younger children below the age of 8 and so when I was placed in one of the senior classes, it was a nice change to work with older teens. 

With everything in life, there were challenges during the day, but I honestly can't describe how beautiful these kids were. They were high functioning teens with intellectual and mild physical disabilities but that is the last thing I'd say to describe them. These students were friendly and all that their own unique and quirky personality. They truly were wonderful human beings and I feel so lucky to have had the chance to meet and interact with them. 

We did gardening activities today and we learnt how to plan potatoes. It was so great to see the students participating and learning the skills being taught to them today. I really got a lot of joy out of my volunteer work today. I hope that people are willing to put themselves out there in order to find what it is they're passionate about. 

school logo

2 comments:

  1. It's a wonderful school with some really great teachers. Vy went to school there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if this school has any reviews on Seethrough.com

    ReplyDelete