Friday, June 7, 2013

Vegan burritos

I have been craving burritos ever since I bought a can of Sanitarium Casserole Mince (yes it is vegan friendly) from the grocery store a couple weeks ago. The label on the can had a super quick and easy recipe for corn and bean burritos. 

It didn't help my craving after seeing breakfast burritos up on Instragram either. This Mexican meal of deliciousness had to be cooked, and soon. But for me, I need to set aside time if I want to cook up a new recipe. I have to gather the ingredients, actually cook it, plate up and take some snap shots for the blog. Sometimes it's quick and easy, but most of the time it requires more time than you'd think. 

I figured that if I make burritos, I should go all out and make it a full-blown Mexican feast. That means guacamole and salsa had to make an appearance too. For these recipes I whipped out some of my favourite vegan cookbooks. 

The recipe on the can of the vegan mince wasn't actually vegan because it called for cheese on the last step of cooking, but everything else was vegan friendly so all I had to do was exclude the last step in the method. 

I really enjoyed this meal. Having made everything from scratch made it so much more fresh. And if you can, but all your ingredients on the day that you make it because the flavours are just so much better. Mexican food will always be one of my favourite cuisines and today's feast reminds me why. 

Vegan Bean Burritos

Makes 10 burritos

Prep time: 20 minutes

Cooking time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 red capsicum, chopped
  • 2 cobs corn, removed from corn (frozen corn is fine too)
  • Packet taco or burrito seasoning mix
  • 415g Vegie Delights Casserole Mince
  • 400g crushed tomatoes
  • 300g kidney beans, drained
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 fresh coriander, chopped
  • 10 flour tortillas
  • **extra ingredients that I added
  • 1 cup chopped kale
  • 1/2 sliced button mushrooms

Directions
  1. Heat oil in a fry pan and saute onion and capsicum until soft. Add corn, mushrooms and taco/burrito seasoning mix.
  2. Stir through Casserole Mince, tomatoes, kidney beans, kale, tomato paste and water. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened (I let mine simmer for quite a while before it was at a thick consistency that I liked).
  3. Stir through coriander.
  4. Warm tortillas as per instructions on packet
  5. Place mixture in the middle of each tortilla and roll up enclosing filling (I left one end open, but you can close both if you like).
  6. Serve with guacamole and salsa.


1 comment:

  1. As I was scrolling through, I thought this was from a restaurant. Your (Im guessing) sweet potato fries look SCRUMPTIOUS.

    Just looks so good~

    ReplyDelete