Thursday, June 20, 2013

Vegan Strawberry White Hot Chocolate

I've been busy studying for my nursing exam which is in exactly 14 hours. I was studying with a group of friends in the library late this afternoon when it occurred to me that I hadn't done my something new for the day.

Normally if it's late in the day and I haven't decided on a new thing to do then I will honestly have a mini panic attack. Today however, I was already having a panic attack about the exam and so the problem of not having done my something new didn't quite have as much of an impact on my anxiety levels. 

Luckily, I have a few new things to do which are quick and easy already up my sleeve for days like today. 

I decided to try yet another hot chocolate recipe. I found a recipe for Strawberry White Hot Chocolate from the site Knitted Bliss. I have just recently found the Sweet Williams brand of vegan white chocolate so there wasn't much stopping me from veganising this recipe.

The original recipe uses 1/2 cup of strawberry jam, but I didn't like the idea of having all that unhealthy refined sugar from both the white chocolate and the jam so I used strawberry flavouring instead. It's much the same as vanilla essence, so you'll probably find it on the same shelf in your local super markets.

White chocolate and strawberry is by far one of the best flavour combinations. This recipe is a must for people who have a sweet tooth. Absolutely delicious. It's not all that healthy, but sometimes you need a good YOLO drink...especially during exam time. 


Vegan Strawberry White Hot Chocolate

Serves 1

Ingredients
  • 1/2 vanilla soy milk
  • 1/2 unsweetened soy milk (If you don't want your drink very sweet, then use 1 cup of unsweetened soy milk)
  • 1 teaspoon strawberry essence/flavouring (or add more according to your taste)
  • 30g vegan white chocolate (I used the Sweet William brand)
  • * if you're not using vanilla soy milk, then add 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Directions
  1. Place a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of water and heat water until it's boiling. Lower heat to a simmer.
  2. Place soy milk into bowl until hot but not boiling
  3. Add white chocolate to soy milk and stir until dissolved
  4. Add strawberry essence and vanilla essence (if using) and stir
  5. Pour into mug and enjoy :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment