Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Kamut and oat flour shortbread biscuits

It's been about 2 years since I've had shortbread biscuits. Mind you, they're not all that healthy and so maybe it's a good thing I don't eat them anymore. 

I was in need of some dessert today and while I was flipping through the pages of my cookbook Now Vegan! by Lynda Stoner I found a super simple recipe for wholemeal shortbread biscuits. 

I altered the recipe a little to try and make it a bit healthier and they still turned out pretty good. 


Here's the original recipe. Any alterations I made I put in brackets.

Vegan Wholemeal Oat Shortbread Biscuits


Ingredients
  • 125g (4oz) wholemeal flour (I used Kamut flour)
  • 125g (4oz) unbleached flour (I used oat flour)
  • 60g (2oz) raw sugar (I used Low GI cane sugar)
  • 200g (6 1/2oz) vegan margarine
  • 10 drops vanilla essence
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
  2. Mix the flour and sugar together
  3. Rub in the margarine with your fingertips until a coarse breadcrumb texture is achieved.
  4. Add the vanilla essence and quickly roll the dough into a ball. Do not over-work.
  5. On a lightly floured surface, roll the rough into a rectangle or circle 1cm (1/2inch) thick. 
  6. Cut into fingers or triangles and bake for about 5 minutes. 
  7. Turn over and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until golden brown on both sides. 
  8. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment