Saturday, July 13, 2013

Vegan (American) biscuits

When I say the word "biscuit", all you Americans out there are thinking of the yummy round piece of bread that often is served with gravy. For all you Australians and Europeans, we are thinking of confectionery biscuits (i.e. cookies). 

I didn't even know there was such thing as the American biscuit (which I thick is more like a scone), until I met my American friend about 4 years ago. We were having lunch one day and she was telling us about the "biscuits" from KFC. After much confusion, she explained to my friend and I that the kind of biscuit she was talking about was like a round bread roll type thing. 

I went home that night and googled this biscuit she was talking about. She told me that she really missed them, because we don't make them over here in Australia, so I baked her a batch of them. The recipe was super simple, but whoa they were so yummy fresh out the oven. 

The last batch I made was all those years ago, and I used lard in that recipe. Now that I'm vegan though, it never really occurred to me that there was a vegan friendly recipe until I found one in my You Won't Believe It's Vegan! cookbook.

I had the biscuits as part of my big vegan breakfast this morning :) Biscuits are a Southern American tradition, and I looove Southern food so these are right up there with my love for corn bread. 



Basic Vegan Biscuits 

Makes about 12 biscuits (or less if you make them thicker than 1/2 an inch)

Ingredients
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan margarine
  • 2/3 cup soy milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
  2. Sift the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
  3. Cut the margarine or oil into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Male a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the soy milk and lemon juice. Mix together until just moistened.
  4. Roll out dough to 1/2inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch circles and place the circles on the prepared baking sheet. Re-roll the scraps and cut the rest of the dough into 2-inch biscuits as well. 
  5. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. 
  6. Serve warm with gravy or vegan margarine.

No comments:

Post a Comment