Sunday, July 28, 2013

Vegan chocolate peanut butter popcorn

I had a movie night with my little brother Peter today. We're keen to go and watch The Wolverine in cinemas, but we're both a bit behind and haven't seen some of the other X-men movies. And we call ourselves comic fans? For shame!

I figured that a movie snack was definitely needed and so I decided to pull out my popcorn maker. I just had a look through my blog archives and found my old post for spiced popcorn. I can't believe that it was all the way back in February. Wow, time flies!

I didn't want to just settle for plain popcorn tonight so I Googled some recipes for chocolate popcorn. A lot of the recipes needed melted chocolate (which I didn't have in my pantry) and butter; but that didn't stop me though. 

After being inspired by a vegan recipe for chocolate popcorn, I decided to put together my own recipe for chocolate and peanut butter popcorn. I like my chocolate bitter and my popcorn crunchy. This recipe definitely delivered.

Peter and I watched X-men Origins: Wolverine. I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. Not sure if the popcorn had anything to do with that, but all in all I was not disappointed. I give it a 7/10.

Can't wait to watch The Wolverine!....maybe I can sneak a bag of my chocolate and peanut butter popcorn into the cinema. 

Vegan Chocolate and Peanut Butter Popcorn

Serves 4 

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil 
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (or more if you like it extra chocolaty. I used dutch-processed cocoa powder because the flavour is much more intense)
  • 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
Directions
  1. Pop the popcorn in a popcorn machine or place in a paper bag and pop in the microwave.
  2. Melt the coconut oil and mix in the cocoa powder, peanut butter and maple syrup.
  3. Pour chocolate mixture over popcorn and mix until evenly coated.
  4. Serve while it's still warm. Any left overs can be put in the fridge and devoured later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment