Monday, July 1, 2013

Vegan cosmic cookies

While I was Googling healthier substitutes for white flour a while back, I came across something called Kamut flour. It is a good choice for baking because it has a higher protein content than normal white flour and will not make your baking heavy or dense like spelt flour does (more info here and here).

I bought a bag of kamut flour months and months ago, hoping to make a yummy cake but alas I never got around to it. Over time the poor bag of kamut flour had gotten pushed to the back of my pantry. That is, until yesterday when I found a super healthy cookie recipe that includes kamut flour. 

It was one of those rare moments when I find a recipe with a mega long ingredients list, and I actually end up having most of the ingredients in my kitchen. 

My brother asked me today what I was going to do as my something new and I told him that I'd be making cookies. His eyes lit up, but then I quickly told him that they'd be healthy cookies. He paused for a second and unexpectedly said, "doesn't matter. It's all the same". Lol. What 12 year old likes healthy cookies? He's s special kid that boy. Love him to bits.

I made a few variations of the recipe that I found on the website Food Doodles. The original recipe is from Planet Organic Market.  

As there are so many ingredients in this recipe, there's just so much happening in each bite. All the different flavours work well.

I rolled out my cookie dough so that the cookies would be thin because I like them crunchy, but they would taste just as good if they're thicker. 

I'm pretty sure these babies are jammed packed with so much goodness and energy. Get baking and enjoy these guilt-free cosmic cookies. 

These cookies also got the thumbs up of approval from my little brother. The boy who loves his vegetables non-existant and his junk food deep fried or covered in sugar :P


Vegan Cosmic Cookies

Makes about 36 thin cookies about 5mm thick.

Dry ingredients:
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup spelt flour (I used plain flour because I didn't have spelt. It still worked well, but spelt would be healthier)
  • ½ cup kamut flour
  • ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
  • ½ cup pumpkin seeds or pepitas (I used 1/4 cup of sesame seeds and 1/4 cup dried pineapple pieces chopped)
  • ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • ¼ cup chia seeds
  • ½ cup sucanat sugar (I used low Gi raw sugar)
  • l tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
  • ½ cup dried cranberries
  • ¼ cup raisins
Wet ingredients:
  •  1/8 cup blackstrap molasses
  • ½ cup coconut oil
  • ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 18 C (350 F).  Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  2. In a very large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients from the oats to the dried cranberries.  Stir and set aside.  
  3. In a medium sized bowl stir together the molasses, melted coconut oil and milk.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix with a large wooden spoon just until all the ingredients are combined.  
  4. Using a 1/3 C measuring cup, scoop dough and place 9-12 cookies per baking sheet.  Gently press the cookie dough down to the thickness that you like. I used a cookie cutter to make then all even in diameter.
  5. Place on sheets and put in the oven and bake for 24-26 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes before removing the cookies from the sheet and placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Notes: You might want to warm the milk slightly before mixing it with the coconut oil and molasses otherwise the coconut oil will solidify fairly quickly once mixed.  This is not a problem if you’re using any other kind of oil.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment