Friday, July 19, 2013

Vegan waffle cones

I recently found out that waffle ice cream cones are not vegan friendly. Unfortunately for me, a lot of them are made with eggs. I tried doing a Google search for a vegan friendly version but didn't find many at all. 

I was determined to find a good vegan waffle cone recipe after I bought myself a waffle cone maker which was on sale for $20 from one of those home ware stores which I have now forgotten the name of. I couldn't resist the bargain because it was selling for more than half price off. Plus I thought it might be cool to make my own waffle cones. 

I eventually found a video on the Internet for vegan waffle cones from the American website News 10. The video gives step by step instructions and they turned out looking great. 

I didn't have all the ingredients that the lady from the video used, but I did my best with what I had in the pantry. 

My waffle cones turned out pretty good. The thicker you make your batter, the less crispy they will go. In the video the batter seems very thick, but it still turned out good because their waffle iron was heavier duty than mine. See how you go using either the original recipe or my adaptation of it. 

I also made some raw vegan caramel sauce and chocolate sauce to go on top :) Diabetes galore. 

 Vegan waffle cones

Ingredients
  • 3/4 plain flour
  • 3/4 whole wheat flour (I used wholemeal spelt)
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered/icing sugar
  • 1 tablespoon corn flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot
  • 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons melted vegan margarine
  • 1 1/2 cup room temp or water almond milk
Directions
  1. Sift and combine all the dry ingredients and mix well.
  2. Add the melted margarine to the warm almond milk (if you add the margarine to cold milk, it will curdle) and mix with dry ingredients.
  3. Heat waffle iron and grease with a little bit of oil. Place about 2 tablespoons of the batter onto the iron and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions (cook for about 1 minute).
  4. Take off the waffle and roll it up using a waffle cone mold. Leave to cool and harden. 
  5. Fill up your cone with ice cream and enjoy. 
It's a burry photo unfortunately. It's the only one I took because I guess I was just too eager to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment