That was what the girls and I did tonight. We caught up to catch up on Ruth's holiday over some baking and hot drinks.
We were in the mood for apple pie but decided to go with a berry and apple crumble recipe I found in my Now Vegan! cookbook by Lynda Stoner. It was a very quick and simple recipe and it tasted really good.
We made our own variations to the original recipe. We halved the amount of sugar and added cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds and some almond and hazelnut meal. All the flavours went well together and made the simple dessert into something a bit more special.
You can modify this recipe in any way you like. Add all your favourite things and enjoy this in the company of people you love being around :)
Vegan Berry and Apple Crumble
- 4 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 500g (1 lb) mixed berries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (we only used 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour (we used plain flour)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Grease a 20cm (8in) baking dish (we make ours in ramekins). Place the sliced apples on the bottom and top with berries.
- With your fingers, rub together the flour, vegan margarine, brown sugar and cinnamon until finely crumbed, then spread evenly over berries.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.