I was so impressed with these that I had to make my own vegan version. I pulled up a recipe for raw vegan chocolate from the website The Veggie Nook and used their Raw Chocolate Recipe #2. It is vegan, raw, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free!
These banana bites are a perfect treat to hit those sugar cravings on the head. Just remember that all things should be in moderation and even though these are a healthy option, don't over do it.
Vegan Chocolate and Nut Covered Banana Bites
For the vegan chocolate (from The Veggie Nook):
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- Roasted nuts (you can used any you like, or you could coat them in unsweetened dessicated coconut)
- Bananas cut into bite sized pieces (I used two small bananas)
- Roast nuts in the oven or on a pan. Make sure you keep watch so that they don't burn. Once they have browned, then spread nuts out on a plate to let cool.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the vegan chocolate in a bowl and mix.
- Once the nuts have cooled, grind them using a mortar and pestle or in the food processor.
- Using about a tablespoon of the chocolate, cover each banana piece and roll into a smooth ball in the palms of your hand (yes your hands will get messy, but these are super yummy so it's worth it)
- Roll the ball into the ground nuts and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Place tray into the refrigerator until the balls have hardened (at least 20 minutes).