Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Vegan Green Tea Sesame Sauce

I love The Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook by Tanya Petrovna. Not only does it have great recipes, but it brings back memories of my holiday to America late last year. Los Angeles is one super vegan friendly place to be and I'll be back for sure. 

I was in the mood for an Asian dinner tonight and so I flipped through my Natives Cookbook hoping to find a nice sauce recipe. Now if you've read some of my older posts, you'll know how much I love trying all kinds of wacky new flavour combinations, and I found a real humdinger tonight. 

The recipe is Green Tea Sesame Sauce. I had no idea what to expect; but you'll never know until you try. 

It actually turned out to be really good (in my opinion). It kind of tasted like a peanut sauce, and I couldn't taste the green tea at all. I served the sauce with soba noodles, a variety of steamed veggies and shiitake mushrooms. I also added Sriracha sauce on top. I just can't get enough of Sriracha sauce. Top stuff. 

This recipe includes tahini (sesame paste). On quite a few occasions where I've bought tahini from the grocery store, the checkout chick has asked me what I use it for. I used to say that I just eat it on toast with maple syrup or put it in my oats, but since then I've discovered so many more recipes that use tahini. This sauce is definitely a good one to try if you're ballsy enough to try something very new and different. 

Enjoy!

Green Tea Sesame Sauce

Makes 2 cups

Ingredients

  • ½ cup tahini
  • 1 garlic clove, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • ¼ maple syrup
  • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 cup brewed green tea (can substitute bancha or roasted barley tea)
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Directions
  1. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend thoroughly. (Please use a tall blender. I thought that I would just use my food processor, but when I turned it on the liquid still managed to come out. Messy.)
  2. Warm on stove top and serve. 
Serving suggestions: Try this sauce on hot udon noodles with tofu, vegetables and sesame seeds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment