Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Batman cake decorations

Tomorrow is my brother's birthday and I planned to make him a cake. The original plan was to make him a batman shaped ice cream cake, but I just didn't have the time and resources to make a batman shaped cake tin. I hope I get around to making it one day though. I was thinking of using some malleable metal and making a large batman shaped cookie cutter. That way I could fill it up with ice cream and bam, Batman ice cream cake!

Instead of that idea though, I decided to make some cupcakes instead. I stopped into one of my favourite bulk food stores Weigh 'n' Pay and bought some cake decorating supplies. I bought some Scolpt modelling chocolate and pre-made chocolate fudge icing.

I wanted to make a little Gotham City and Batman beacon with the modelling chocolate. I've never done anything like this before, but it was pretty straight forward, so if you are keen to try it then you really should! It's great fun. 



I'm not very good at freehand drawing, so in order to cut out the shape of the batman logo, I cut out a picture of it that I printed on paper. Here are my instructions below:

Batman Cake Decorations

What you need:
  •  Modelling chocolate (I used the Scolpt brand) - of any kind of cake decorating fondant
  • Yellow food colouring (only if you buy the white chocolate . There is also yellow chocolate)
  • Baking paper
  • Small knife with a sharp pointed tip (for better accuracy when you're cutting out the shapes)
  • Rolling pin
  • 2x paper cut-out of the batman logo

 Instructions:

  1. Print out two pictures of the Batman logo (including the oval around the bat shape). For one of the pictures, cut out the bat shape and for the other one, cut out the whole oval.
  2. Using the black Scolpt modelling chocolate, warm it up in your hands and roll it out on a flat surface lined with baking paper. I sandwiched the modelling chocolate between two sheets of baking paper so that it would get stuck on the flat surface and rolling pin. I rolled my chocolate about 0.3mm. 
  3. Place the bat shaped piece of paper that you cut out onto the rolled black chocolate and cut around the paper using a knife with a small sharp pointed tip. 
  4.  Using new baking paper, roll out the white Scolpt modelling chocolate. Place the oval stencil onto the chocolate and cut out the shape of the beacon. make sure you wipe the tip of the knife so that you don't get black chocolate onto the white. 
  5. I used yellow food colouring to colour it yellow. You can also buy yellow modelling chocolate. 
  6. Place the black Batman chocolate onto the yellow beacon  chocolate and press down very gently so that it just sticks together. 
  7. For the Gotham City buildings, roll out the black chocolate and cut rectangles of different lengths. I didn't cut my building very long so they might not stand up very well when I put them on the cup cake icing. You could either cut them longer, or you can do what I'll do and use more modelling chocolate to stick some skewers onto the back and stick them into the cupcakes that way. 
  8. For the windows, I rolled out white modelling chocolate and cut a very thin strip. Then I cut the strip into little squares, placing them onto the black buildings one at a time. 
  9. I cut out a circle shape into the black modelling chocolate and wrote "Happy Birthday Peter" using white chocolate writing fudge which is available in the baking section of any Coles or Woolworths. 

 
The finished product :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment