Well thanks to good ol' Instagram, I saw a post that The Simple Veganista had put up for their spicy vegan mac and cheese recipe. I love The Simple Veganista. Their recipes are amazing, and so I knew that this one would probably not disappoint. I'm not a huge fan of cheese sauces made with nutritional yeast but I figured that I would be in good hands with this recipe. So I just took a leaf of faith with this one.
Turns out, the recipe is totally yummy and about a million times more guilt free than your ordinary legit mac and cheese. This is one of the perks of being vegan. A lot of the substitutes are quite healthy. You still have to check though just in case.
I made up a batch of the vegan mac and cheese and scooped in on top of a vegan hot dog which was snugly placed in a fresh hot dog bun I had bought today. I sprinkled some chipotle pepper seeds on top and served it up with smokey parsnip shoestring fries (original recipe from here). I have yet to meet a hot dog which has let me down, and today was no exception. It doesn't matter if you're vegan or not, everybody needs to try a mac and cheese dog. Sooner rather than later please :)
The Simple Veganista also have another mac and cheese recipe that sounds tasty. I think I'll try this one at some point too!
Vegan Chipotle Mac and Cheese (from The Simple Veganista)
- 8 oz. favorite pasta
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or your favorite unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons flour (spelt, rice, tapioca or all-purpose) - I used white spelt flour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- mineral salt, to taste
- Cook your pasta according to package. Drain and place back in pot.
- In a small/medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat, add flour and whisk to incorporate. Continue whisking and cook for 2 minutes. Add milk slowly, whisking constantly. Turn heat to low and cook until sauce thickens, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and chipotle powder. Stir until everything is incorporated and smooth again. Taste for flavor.
- Add sauce to the pasta, toss well, add more milk as needed and serve right away...or on top of a hot dog!
This recipe is just a template. Add as much of the salt and spices to suit your taste. You may even like to omit the chili and chipotle opting for a mild mac n' cheese. Or use either the chili or chipotle powder alone.
For the nutritional yeast, if using powder form reduce amount to about 1/4 cup. You can try playing around with the amount. I have used less, 1/4 - 1/3 cup, and still had a nice cheesy flavor. You may opt to start with less and add more to taste.
Toss in steamed or roasted vegetables of choice with the pasta...broccoli, brussel sprouts, sun-dried tomatoes, tomatoes, spinach, kale and corn are a few that come to mind that will work with the flavors. I'm sure I missed a few and would love to hear your suggestions in the comments below.
To reheat, add a small amount of milk and heat over low until warmed.
You may also like to top with some almond parmesan!