Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Fry's Family meat-free chicken style burgers

In my opinion, the vegan world in Perth, Western Australia is expanding. Yay, let's celebrate by eating some vegan beignets that I made yesterday!!

No but really, I have seen so many more vegan products become available since I first started my vegan ways two and a half years ago. To be honest, I don't know if I'm just getting better at knowing where to look, or if veganism is actually becoming a more well known lifestyle choice. Either way, it certainly seemed like more food companies are getting on the vegan band-wagon and producing more food for us herbivores. 

Don't get me wrong, I love eating clean and making everything from scratch, but let's be honest, I'm not a cooking machine who can be in the kitchen all day long pumping out super healthy meals. There's just too much chopping involved. Seriously, prep can take so long. Especially if you need time to marinade something. Sometimes it's nice to have something pre-prepared which doesn't need much effort to cook up. Well, turns out there is just the thing in the freezer section of my local Woolworths 

I stumbled upon a range of meat-free vegan products made by Fry's Family (more information at the Fry's family cause here). They had an extensive range of savoury mock meat frozen goodies at the grocery store, and they have even more which isn't stocked in store. I bought a box of the Chicken Style Burger patties and whipped up a chicken and coleslaw burger. I really enjoyed the patty. It was crumbed and actually tasted a bit like what I remember a chicken patty tasting like. I really look forward to trying out more of their products. I think I'll just stock my freezer full of it all. That way if I need something quick and easy I can just grill me up or oven bake something delicious, stick it inbetween two slices of bread and BOOM, one very happy vegan. 


Vegan coleslaw dressing

Serves 2

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup vegan mayonaise (I use Praise mayonaise)
  • 1 tablespoon plain soy milk
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup shredded cabbage (white or pruple or both)
  • 1 small carrot, grated
Dircetions
  1. Combine the mayonaise, soy milk and lemon juice and whisk together. 
  2. Add the cabbage and carrot and mix well. Refridgerate until use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment