Thursday, December 12, 2013

Vegan parsnip paté

Tonight's new recipe was super quick and easy, but not for the faint hearted. It would honestly take someone with an acquired taste to enjoy this recipe for vegan raw parsnip pate. I'm not saying it's a bad recipe though. It definitely falls under the category marked "different", but again, I have a very acuired taste to the ingredients in this recipe, so I don't mind it at all. In fact, it's a lovely addition to crackers with cucumber and grape tomatoes.

I came across the original recipe from site The Mommy Bowl while I was Googling vegan recipes for parsnips. I had a few in my fridge and wanted to use them up before they went rotten. I was so intruiged when I saw that vegan pate even existed, so I knew I had to try it. Luckily the recipe from The Mommy Bowl listed ingredients that I actually had stocked in my kitchen.

So I think I can say with 100% certainty that this vegan pate does not taste like what I remember pate tasting like. However, it has a bit of a savoury, saltiness to it that is quite nice. I remember that when I was a kid, my sister and I would eat pate on it's own with a spoon, but I probably wouldn't do that with this. It tastes great with crackers though, and I will definitely use it in sandwiches too :)

Raw Vegan Parsnip Paté

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium parsnip
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews (soaked if you want – I didn’t)
  • 1/2 t. Penzey’s Sandwich Sprinkle (or other seasoned salt)
  • 2 T. nutritional yeast flakes
Directions:
  1. Cut the parsnip into even-sized chunks. Place in a food processor and pulse until about rice-sized. 
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse just until mixture sticks together.

No comments:

Post a Comment